CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Compound Words

One more quick post before I hit the sack because I have to get up at 4:45 to meet my bestie at the gym.  We have been learning about compound words the last couple weeks.  I have done this activity the last couple of years to help them understand how compound words are made.  Below are pics of the project that we did, very simple.  I just cut a regular size piece of construction in 1/2, so it made 2 long skinny strips.  I taught the kids how to fold it, surprisingly they did very well with the folding aspect this year.  Some years I fold the papers for the kids before we start the project.  We brainstormed a list of compound words, I only used the compound words that I thought would be easy for the kids to draw pictures to.  On the left flap, students write the first word that makes up the compound word and draws a picture to match.  On the right flap, students write the second word in the compound word and then draw a picture to match.  When you open the flaps up, the inside of the book, the students write the compound word and draw a picture to match the new word.  The students had a blast with it.  They were so excited to find out they could make more than one booklet.  Goodnight everyone!

                                                                foot                        ball      

football

                                                             basket                           ball

basketball

                                                               rain                     bow

rainbow

0 comments:

Post a Comment